Everyday Tips to Restore Radiance and a Youthful Glow
There are many factors causing the skin to look dull. While you cannot control all of them, there are a few lifestyle and skincare steps you can take to restore the radiance and achieve that glowing healthy look.
Exfoliate once a week, to polish the upper layer of the skin
Dead skin cells building up on the surface of the skin contribute to an ashy look and dullness, making the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles accentuated. While exfoliation allows to get rid of dead skin, doing it too often and using too harsh ingredients (starting with AHA*) makes it worse, by depleting too many layers of the skin and shortening the ability of skin cells to regenerate. The skin has a wonderful ability to autoregulate and just needs a bit of help: the objective is to only polish the upper layers of the skin.
We recommend exfoliating once a week, using a mechanical (vs chemical aka AHA) exfoliator with various strength of abrasive particles, mixed with a high-quality emollient.
Keep the skin hydrated
Staying hydrated is one of the key factors to remain healthy. Keeping your skin hydrated is crucial to retain radiance. Dehydration prohibits cell turnover and contribute to an abnormal build up of dead skin cells, causing congestion, clogged pores and ashy dull skin.
We recommend to use water-based skincare products such as gels and creams with high concentrations of active ingredients such as amino acids, glycoproteins, vitamins A, B and C, combined with low molecular weight hyaluronic acid that will hydrate and plump the deep layers of your skin.
Preserve your skin’s microbiome
Like the digestive system, our skin has its own special ecosystem made up of millions of microorganisms. While we all understand how important it is to maintain a healthy micro flora in our digestive system to be healthy, the same applies to skin: a healthy skin microbiome is essential for glowing skin. A well-balanced skin microflora protects your skin from pathogen microorganisms, maintains an acidic pH and the lipid phase of the skin.
We recommend using natural vegetable face oils rich in omegas 3, 6 and 9, and in antioxidants.
Use clay masks to eliminate toxins and environmental pollutants
Heavy metals, gases emitted by cars and industries affect the skin in many ways: loss of radiance, dryness, hypersensitivity, acne, pigmentation or premature ageing. Pollutants induce oxidative stress and favor acne flare-ups and skin inflammation.
Bentonite and Kaolin clays are an effective way to remove these toxic particles absorbed through the skin. These clays are mineral rich volcanic ashes, which catch and draw the toxins out of the skin when activated with water.
We recommend using a gentle cleanser every night, and a clay mask every week. Stay away from clay masks that dry out since they tend to irritate your skin.
Too little sleep can mess with your radiance
- You deprive your body, brain and skin included of a chance to get rid of 60% of its toxins.
- Your skin’s pH becomes imbalanced, which leads to a dehydrated complexion, redness and breakouts.
- You develop dark circles due to dilatation of the blood vessels under your eyes
The good news is that sleep is free and always available. For good quality sleep we recommend:
- Not drinking alcohol for 2 hours before going to bed to allow your body to go into REM sleep, during which cell regeneration happens
- Switch off your electronic devices at least an hour before going to bed. Blue daylight spectrum messes up with your melatonin. It’s stimulating and energizing.
- Stress + no sleep = Dull complexion, flaky skin, breakouts. Exercise regularly and do a 10 min meditation in bed before switching of the lights.
- Fair Trade: Uplifting the producers at the heart of our products
- What it really means to be a sustainable brand
- Why the gift of self-care is the best you can give to others – and yourself – this festive season
- Confused about Clean Beauty? So are many people.
- Organic Farming: Environmental and Human Health Benefits
- The Freedom of a Flawless Skin
- Protect Your Skin Against Photo Aging
- Revive Sun-Drenched Skin
- Multipurpose Coconut Oil
- Men’s Grooming Tips from TDA Founder, Dr Stephan Helary
- Creating a Culture of Caring
- Africa Day 2020: Celebrating the Creativity of Modern Africa
- Everyday Tips to Restore Radiance and a Youthful Glow
- Healing Powers of Hydration
- Reignite Your Senses at Scent Beauty
- One&Only Gorilla’s Nest
- Protect and Restore Your Skin with Terres d’Afrique